Friday, April 13

The Eagle Scout Who Brought Daddy to the Interview

I was short staffed today, so I was involved with screening our walk-in applicants more than I usually am. It was mid-afternoon when in walked a boy and his dad (they had an uncanny resemblance). The boy is a high school senior looking for a summer job. I didn't learn that from him, his dad was the one that offered the opening statement. I intentionally directed my body, eyes, and voice to the young man (pretending that his dad was a figment of my imagination). "So, what kind of work have you done?” I asked. Dad piped in from over my shoulder that he mowed lawns for his grandmother and volunteered to wrap gifts for the holiday season. Again, I look at this kid and throw out another challenging question. "What kind of work are you interested in?" That must have been a baffler, because he just stood there and stared at me. I knew then that dad had figured out that I was not interested in hearing what he had to say. Let the boy speak!

The boy (whose name I had yet to learn) stood there quietly. He finally looked up from his Clark Kent glasses (his dad had them too) and said, "It doesn't matter". Okay; I can work with that I thought. I actually do have entry level jobs that are perfect for students going off to college. Otherwise, I would have sent him and pop packing much sooner. Another challenging question from myself, "What qualities do you have that might be beneficial to an employer." I might have well asked about the Theory of Relativity or recipe for Toll House Cookies. Long silence. Awkward stares. Beads of sweat. Then dad chimes in, "He's an Eagle Scout".


The story goes on, but it doesn't get better. I sent both of them away, without prospects of a job for the summer. Do I think this 18 year old boy is ready to work a 40-hour week, running expensive production equipment, working at a fast pace, without his dad? Better luck next year, kid. Gain some experience and insist that dad waits in the car next time you walk in for an application.

The Boomer happy ending: we still get to be selective with the entry level layer of our workforce. However, that's changing fast. Enjoy it while it lasts.

The Millennial happy ending: Your bad experience with me will lead to a better experience with someone else. Good luck Boy Scout! I'm sure you'll do just fine.



No comments: